The Maldives Internet Governance Forum 2023
16th-17th of June 2023 | Maldives National University (MNU) Main Campus.
The forum will adopt a hybrid format, allowing both physical attendance and virtual participation via an online platform.
This year's theme for the Maldives IGF includes:
- Bridging the Digital Divide: Topics related to internet pricing, internet reach, digital fragmentation, and the digital divide, exploring ways to increase access to digital technologies for all.
- Combating Misinformation and Promoting Freedom of Expression: Discussions on gendered online hate, censorship, internet shutdowns, net neutralisation, public awareness, and misinformation, exploring ways to ensure that digital platforms are safe, open, and inclusive spaces for all.
- Ensuring Cybersecurity and Resilience: Discussions on online safety, malware threats, ransomware, and scamming awareness with a focus on how the government and private sector can collaborate to address these issues.
- Emerging Technologies: Discussions on blockchain, AI, IoT, smart cities, and cloud technologies, with a focus on how these technologies can be harnessed to benefit society while minimising potential risks.
- Strengthening Data Governance and Ownership: Topics related to data governance, data ownership, data sovereignty, and open data, exploring ways to ensure that data is used ethically and transparently, while empowering individuals and communities to take control of their own data.
- Fostering Innovation in the Digital Economy: Discussions on the digital economy, digital citizenship, payment IPS (Fintech), and research & analytics, exploring ways to promote innovation and entrepreneurship in the digital space, while ensuring that these developments benefit society as a whole.
What is Maldives Internet Governance Forum (Maldives IGF)?
1st Maldives Internet Governance Forum 2023
The IGF is a global multi stakeholder platform that facilitates the discussion of public policy issues pertaining to the Internet.
The Maldives IGF, is a national-level initiative that follows the principles and objectives set by the Global IGF. It serves as a local platform for stakeholders in the Maldives to engage in discussions specific to Maldives context.
This is a platform which aims to bring together stakeholders from various sectors to discuss and exchange ideas on crucial internet governance issues. This initiative gathers diverse participants, including government representatives, civil society organisations, the private sector, technical communities, and academia. The goal is to foster collaboration, idea-sharing, and problem-solving in response to the rapidly changing digital landscape. The Maldives IGF aligns with the global Internet Governance Forum.
The Maldives Internet Governance Forum (IGF) 2023, led by an executive committee and an advisory committee representing diverse sectors, this year the forum hosted by Women in Tech Maldives.
Maldives IGF is recognized by the UN IGF Secretariate
Be a Part of the Conversation: Host a Session at Maldives IGF 2023
- Open Forums
- Focus Group Discussions
- Hot Seat/Fireside Chats
- Panel Discussions
- Best Practise Forums
- Paper Presentations
- A session can be held virtually or physically
- Participants can join physically or virtually
Session Registration: Closed
IGFA welcomes participants from all backgrounds/age to join and engage in the forum, free of cost.
A unique opportunity to exchange ideas, share knowledge, and get exposed to new concepts on policies and Development in the Evolving Internet Landscape
With the addition of each passionate, energetic, and dependable volunteer, IGFA continuously enhances its commitment to diversity, inclusivity, and achieving its objectives with improved effectiveness.